Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Florida

My homeowners association had a budget set in place for 2009 which included $60 per month for cable and internet out of the $164 per month total HOA dues. Now on 8/3/2009 I received notice that my cable and internet will be cut off on 8/14/2009 and that my family will need to set up internet and cable on my own. The HOA dues will remain at $164 per month to pay back bad debt I have been told due to mismanagement and other homeowners not paying their dues. Is this legal to charge for a service that is no longer being provided?

Sarah Grosse Sarah Grosse, Esquire

No one here can answer your question because the answer lies in your HOA contract. Your impression may be that the HOA fees covered cable and internet, but you need to look at the agreement to know exactly what the dues cover. Also, if the Board changes the rules half way through implementation, they may or may not have the right to do so.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Florida