Legal Question in Tax Law in Florida

I am Italian and I do some freelances for an american company in Miami, FL. My contractor is demanding me to fill some tax forms to release the payment, and I would like to know if that is really necessary, as I believe I should be declaring these values in my country. Thanks in advance

Joseph Justice The Justice Law Firm

Probably. The company is required by the Internal Revenue Service to withhold taxes from payments or have documentation on file that shows the payee is exempt from the taxation (like a subcontractor). The most likely outcome of refusing to fill out the forms is that the company will be required to hold back a portion of the payment for taxes. You will then need to get the withheld amount back from the government (not the simplest process).

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Florida

Tax and Taxation Law Legal Forms