Legal Question in Tax Law in Florida

I am Italian and I do some freelances for an american company in Miami, FL. My contractor is demanding me to fill some tax forms to release the payment, and I would like to know if that is really necessary, as I believe I should be declaring these values in my country. Thanks in advance

Asked on 7/15/13, 5:29 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joseph Justice The Justice Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Probably. The company is required by the Internal Revenue Service to withhold taxes from payments or have documentation on file that shows the payee is exempt from the taxation (like a subcontractor). The most likely outcome of refusing to fill out the forms is that the company will be required to hold back a portion of the payment for taxes. You will then need to get the withheld amount back from the government (not the simplest process).

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 12:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Tax and Taxation Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now