Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Georgia

garnishment after chapter 7 discharge

Our bankruptcy was discharged two years ago. We had a home equity line of credit with oner of the creditors. We continued to make payments to them afterwards, until I became unemployed. We got behind on the payments, and now they are garnishing my husbands paycheck. This company is still calling my husband at work and at home about this debt. The last time I talked to them I informed them of the garnishment and of the bankruptcy, and I was told that our accunt was not showing anything about the bankruptcy, or garnishment. I have tried to contact our attorney several times, but as of yet he has not returned my calls. What can we do?

Cheryl Rivera Smith The Smith Law Firm

Re: garnishment after chapter 7 discharge

You are no longer protected by your bankruptcy and the lawyer can't help you at this point. Get evidence of the garnishment and forward it to the company. Keep the lines of communication, make your payments on time, and work it out with the mortgage company.

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Georgia

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms