Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Georgia

What about filing standardized forms without lawyer?

At this time, I am no longer able to work and my husband's small business is about to go under. We plan only to bankrupt on unsecured debt. Everything else is owed on to the max.

We do not have the money for an attorney, so I am planning to do the forms myself. I do have all my personal papers together. I have already begun to use the on-line program known as Ziinet Power. All the forms just need to be filled out.

I need to know if there is anything particular I need to know about this or anything specific to the State of Georgia.

Thanks for your time,


Asked on 2/13/03, 7:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Deric Beaudoin Mabry & McClelland, LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: What about filing standardized forms without lawyer?

each state has specific laws relating to certain exemptions like your car's value or value of certain household items for example. these exemptions are listed in the georgia code. the exemptions are used to keep from paying dividends on the value of these items when scheduling them on the petition. other than the exemption amounts the bankruptcy forms are pretty standardized. you just have to make sure you properly schedule your property, creditors etc. and if you have secured debt and you are filing a chapter 7 you will need to properly complete the statement of intention to properly list what you will be keeping and what you will be surrendering, and remember that you can't just keep stuff that you owe money on without reaffirming the debt and listing that in the statement of intention.

Read more
Answered on 2/14/03, 9:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now