Legal Question in Consumer Law in Georgia

I have a received a summons for a judgement that has been filled for a credit card balance that I thought was charged off. I have been unemployed for 2 years and can't afford to pay. What can I ask for in answer to this request for judgement in regards to payment plans?

What are my options?

Asked on 7/19/13, 7:15 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Courts decide whether you owe the debt, not payment plans.

Read more
Answered on 7/19/13, 7:25 am
Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Charged off does NOT mean you don't owe a debt. It is a derrogatory entry on a credit report that essentially says the creditor considers you a deadbeat who is unwilling to pay. Generally, charged off debts get sold to collectors and you get sued. Once you get sued, you need a lawyer as in yesterday. Do NOT answer the case yourself! You may waive or lose defenses if you have any, and will lose the case. You CANNOT request a payment plan from a court.

See a lawyer to determine if you need to go bankrupt, or if you have a proper defense. After 30 days you have waited too long to see the lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 7/19/13, 7:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Consumer Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now