Legal Question in Criminal Law in Georgia

If a police officer drives up the wrong side of the street,and opens his door to block my path would that be considered seizure of my person?

Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP

Rules and laws concerning what it means to be detained, stopped, in custody, etc. are very technical and have relevance not only in the validity of the stop but the consequences of the stop. More information would be necessary, including what was eventually done to you, before I could tell you more.

The answer to this questions is informational only, and it is not intended to be legal advise. Only an attorney who has met with you and gone over all of the specific facts of your case can give you legal advice upon which you should rely. Follow up questions are welcome via the email below, and our firm offers free consultations via phone or in person. We have convenient offices in Winder, Jefferson, and Gainesville Georgia, and you should feel free to contact our office at (770) 307-4899, via email at hmgrmg@yahoo.com, or through our website: hicksmasseyandgardner.com.

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

If, for example, you just robbed a bank and were running from the police, the chase and ultimate capture could very well mean that you were in custody when they caught you. If you were a bystander on the same street as the robber, you would not be in custody. Otherwise, such a vague question and "seizure of my person" could mean anything.

Lawrence Lewis Lawrence Lewis, P.C.

No. Good luck.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Georgia