Georgia  |  Entertainment Law

breaking a contract?

I am the manager of a local band in Atlanta. I have a musician that has played with my band for several years. Recently he had commited to play a rather important show for a booking agency that was looking at extensively booking the band. He did not show up for the show and consequently lost the band any chance of further bookings, hurting the bands future and local reputation. The only agreement we had was verbal and based on his past participation in the band. Is this something that can he could be sued for?

Answered on: 7/31/02, 12:15 am by Howard Leib

Re: breaking a contract?

Unfortunately from your point of view, while he can be sued for breach of contract, your damages would be limited to those directly relating to the gig he missed. THe possibility of future earnings from other gigs that you might have gotten as a result of auditioning, if they had liked you, would be seen as too speculative. Best advice, don't use him again.

Howard D. Leib, Esq. 271 Madison Avenue, Ste 200 New York, NY 10016