Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Background check for ex-wife's new boyfriend

My ex-wife has custody of our 6 yr old daughter, and I have visitation. She is divorced from her second husband, a police officer, and she now has a new boyfriend. I am concerned that she and my daughter will move in with this new guy too soon. (My ex-wife and my daughter moved in with the police officer after she had dated him for 2 to 3 months. I wasn't overly concerned then, because he was a cop and already had a background check done previous to his employment.) Is it possible for me to have a background check run on the new boyfriend? Also, there is a clause in our divorce agreement prohibiting guests, of the opposite sex, to stay overnight if our daugther is in the residence ''unless in a serious relationship.'' However, our divorce papers did not clarify the length of time necessary to establish a ''serious relationship.'' Do I have any options concerning my daughter's safety and well being?

Charles W. Field Charles W. Field, Attorney at Law

Re: Background check for ex-wife's new boyfriend

As for a background check, take a look at www.accurint.com. You should consult with a local attorney about how your judges would look at the live-in lover situation.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia