Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

if child support is part of a divorce order, can a petition for modification be done through the county family court

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino

A modification is filed in the Superior Court of the county where the Defendant/Respondent currently resides. From your zip code it appears you reside in Atlanta. If the Defendant/Respondent resides in that portion of Atlanta which is in Fulton County, then you file in the Superior Court of Fulton County, Family Law Division. If the Defendant/Respondent does not reside in Fulton County, again, you have to file in the County where he/she resides. I suggest you speak with a family law attorney prior to filing. You may feel a modification is warranted, but there are several factors which play into the modification. I have had several clients who have come to me after filing a modification on their own, only to have child support increased. Again, speak with an attorney.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia