Georgia  |  Family Law

I made a mistake on one of the forms when I filed divorce papers at the courthouse. I received a letter giving me a court date stating it is an uncontested divorce. The mistake is that it is NOT uncontested and I cannot get any answers from anyone at the courthouse; they all say to hire an attorney.

If I had the money to hire one, I certainly would have. The husband left, is supposedly in another country (our only communication is through email) and he wants a divorce. I am more than happy to do so but want some money from him in addition to him taking liability for a tax lien he has. He was the sole provider financially for all the years we were living together in addition to almost two years after he left the country. I have already talked with the state Dept. of Revenue regarding the lien; they agree the lien does not and never has been associated with me. They have been very helpful letting me know what I need to do in order to get this lien removed; in our divorce decree, he has to take full responsibility and agree to be liable for the unpaid taxes. I had no idea the lien was there until I went to the courthouse regarding the property taxes on the house.

I live in Georgia; is there an amendment I can file to get this changed since it is not uncontested. I have a court date of November 13, 2012. I have called Legal Aid in the past and they say because I was not physically abused, they cannot help me. I obviously do not have much time and appreciate any advice someone here may have to offer.