Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Power of Attorney

My mother appointed me as the Personal Representative of her will. However, my older sister has been referred to as having Power of Attorney. What is the difference between the two?

Asked on 5/23/04, 11:03 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Charles W. Field Charles W. Field, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Power of Attorney

The power of attorney is active only as long as your mother is alive. Once she passes away, the POA terminates. At that point, after being appointed by the probate court, you, as personal representative are in charge of executing the terms of the will.

Read more
Answered on 5/25/04, 4:11 pm
Phillip A. Strickland Law Offices
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Power of Attorney

A Personal Representative would become operative only under the Will, i.e., only after your mother's death and the probate court has granted you Personal Representative authority. A Power of Attorney would be operative only during her life.

Read more
Answered on 5/23/04, 3:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now