Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I have raised my grand sons since birth and got legal custody of them last year, and our adoption was final this may. The mother met a rich man and he wants kids so she wants them back and has filed a motion to set aside the adoption here in Calhoun ga. She claims fraud against me even thou she knew a month in advance that we intended to adopt! What are the chances of me losing my kids that are now 2 and 3 years old and know me as their mommy?!!!😞

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

In all adoptions, Georgia law gives the biological parents a ten-day revocation period in which they can change their mind. The last day upon which a revocation can occur must be a business day.

Additionally OCGA  19818(e) provides that [a] decree of adoption issued pursuant to [OCGA  19818(b) ] shall not be subject to any judicial challenge filed more than six months after the date of entry of such decree.   It sounds like you are in within that period.

You need to immediately retain experienced legal counsel. Hopefully you had an experienced adoption lawyer when you did the adoption. That is the person you should be calling now.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia