Georgia  |  Medical Leave

My mother had surgery (had kidney removed) and i took off work to be there, she is currently on disability and i am the only person to care for her. she will have many follow up visits to the doctor and i am her only means of transportation. do i qualify for fmla through my employer to care for my mother? my employer is telling me that i do not qualify. please advise

Answered on: 3/04/11, 6:50 am by Scott Riddle

We can't tell you since you did not provide any facts (other than you are employed). Your employer likely told you why they think you don't qualify, but you did not tell us that. Re-post with details such as the size of the company (number of employees), or just get quicker results by googling FMLA requirements.

Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC Suite 1530 Tower Place, 3340 Peachtree Road Atlanta, GA 30326

Answered on: 3/04/11, 10:30 am by Gregory Fidlon

If your employer has at least 50 employees within a 75-mile radius of your worksite, and you have worked for your employer for at least 12 months and worked at least 1250 hours during that time, you should be eligible to take FMLA leave (up to 12 weeks in a rolling 12-month period) to care for your mother if she has a "serious health condition."

LEGAL NOTICE: This forum is designed to provide general information only. The information provided does not constitute legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been established. You waive any right to confidentiality by posting information on this site. Communications on this site do not and cannot substitute for a full consultation with an attorney practicing in your jurisdiction, and you are encouraged to consult with such an attorney for guidance regarding your individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it may not be accurate or applicable to you.

Law Offices of Gregory R. Fidlon, P.C. 1200 Abernathy Road, Bldg. 600, Suite 1700 Atlanta, GA 30328