Legal Question in Personal Injury in Georgia

Dog Attack Case

My wife and dog have been attacked 3 times in the last 20 months. The owners have been found guilty twice in criminal court and we want to take them to small claims court. My wife was bitten twice and knocked down in the attack and the dog received over 30 stitches. Can we get compensation for medical, travel expenses, lost wages (including vacation for criminal court case), pain and suffering and finally emotional distress? We live in a very nice and safe neighborhood and the attacks took place when my dog was on a leash.

Thanks

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

Re: Dog Attack Case

For a small claims/Magistrate case, if you believe you have a good case (and it appears you may, just based on what you posted), it is easy enough to include all reasonable damages in your complaint. Keep in mind the limit for small claims. Be prepared at the hearing to provide all paperwork and documentation. I assume the local animal control office has been made aware of the situation (if the dog is still in the neighborhood). You can ask for such things as pain & suffering, emotional distress and vacation time, but getting it (or all you ask for), is far from a certainty.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Georgia