Legal Question in Personal Injury in Georgia

Third Party Uninsured Motorists Victim

I was on a major interstate with a tractor trailer truck to the left of me in the far left lane. A car in front of me made a quick lane change to the left, placing him in front of the tractor trailer truck and slammed on brakes. The tractor trailer truck hit brakes immediately and began to slide to the right which brought him into my lane, hitting my driver side back passenger door. The car that was in front of the tractor trailer truck immediately fled the scene. The officer gave the truck driver a ticket for failure to maintain his lane.

In this particular situation, can I receive compensation from the trucking company's insurance? (I did not have uninsured motorist coverage at the time of the accident).

Charles W. Field Charles W. Field, Attorney at Law

Re: Third Party Uninsured Motorists Victim

Yes, you can collect from the trucking company's insurance, if a jury were to find or if the company were to concede that the truck driver was to any degree responsible for the accident.

This is for the reason that the trucking company and its driver could be named as joint-tortfeasors with John Doe, the driver who left the scene. Any judgment against joint-tortfeasors is collectible against any or all of them.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Georgia