Georgia  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/15/13, 8:37 pm


I moved to a different state a year ago after house was foreclosure on. Per the new occupants of my former residence, a process server came by several weeks ago. He/she was told by the new occupants that I had moved to another state.

I wrote the law firm representing the bank upon learning of this with a payment offer and notification of my new address. I never received a response. When I called the court house to inquire about the law suit, they told me I would have to wait to be served. When I called the court again two weeks later after still not being contacted, the clerk stated the service notice had been returned to the court as "not serviced" due to residence moving to another state.

Today my employer notified me that they had received a certified letter from the law firm asking for several documents such as past W2 and pay stubs. It was a letter not a court order (I was faxed a copy). The letter specifically states the purpose of the demand for documents is to very my residence.


1) If I provided the law firm with my address, why don't they just file in the state where I now live?

2) Can a law firm WITHOUT a judgement or court order issue a letter to an employer asking for personal information such as W2's and Pay Stubs?

3) Please answer the above question before answering my final question.... Obviously, I need an attorney. Should I hire an attorney in GA or my current state?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search