Legal Question in Business Law in Illinois

I recently received a cookbook in the mail that I did not purchase. It was sent to me by a firm I have purchased books from in the past. However, I did not buy this or request it. It was sent through one of those 'try and buy' unsolicited offers.

This is completely anoying because now I have to take the time and expense to return it - or do I?

If it was unsolicited, am I required to return or pay for the item?

I live in Illinois.

Thank you!

If you have not opened the package, you can simply write on the outside, "REFUSED, RETURN TO SENDER". Place the book in your mailbox and the letter carrier will pick it up and send it back to the vendor. If you have already opened it, then you will have to pay for the postage to mail it back. Place appropriate postage on the box, and mark it, RETURN TO SENDER.

You should not be responsible for the item and should not be charged accordingly. If you wish to be doubly certain, I would recommend you send a separate letter to the vendor advising them that you have returned the book to them and to please credit your account accordingly.

More Business Law questions and answers in Illinois

Business Law Legal Forms