Illinois  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/22/11, 1:48 pm

I was contacted by a dept collector about an old credit card dept. They claimed I owed $8,000. I worked out a direct withdraw from my bank account to make payments. I made one payment and got a notice the following month I was getting my wages garnished. They never intended to follow through on the payments, just wanted to get all my info so they could go forward with the garnish. Strike one. I had paid $3000.00 of the dept. and changed jobs. Next they got a judgement against me without being notified of any court date. I was notified of the judgement and was given a court date for assessment of assets. At that time the lawyers for the company claimed my father signed a serve notice for the first court date whom has been dead for three years before all this and at an address he never resided. Clearly a fake. They didn't want to go before the judge and said we will work out a payout but never did. The judgement is for $8000.00 even though I have paid 1500.00 in payments plus $3000.00 in wage garnishment. I should have to pay only $3500 at best but they insist on getting $8000.00 plus interest. Since the judgement has been done already no lawyer wants to look into it. What can I do. Thanks for your time.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search