Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Illinois

Spouses liability for pre-marital debts

I have a question regarding liability for a utility bill. Before I was married, I established gas service with the local gas company in my name, for my current residence, which I owned solely. When I got married, I had my husband's name added to the account. The local gas company then sued my husband for an outstanding bill for service at another residence which he owned before he and I were married. The gas company is now adding a charge for this settlement amount to our account, and threatening to take credit action and disconnect our service if it is not paid in full immediately. Do I have any legal recourse against this action? Can they legally add this debt to my credit report?

Kevin Plachta The Law Office of Kevin F. Plachta

Re: Spouses liability for pre-marital debts

If you have not done so I would call the utility company and explain the situation to them. You can not be held liable for your husbands bill before you were married.

I would try to make some sort of arrangement with the gas company before they shut you off because I am sure this is going to take awhile to get it fixed. If they do place it on your credit report I would dispute it.

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Illinois

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms