Legal Question in Criminal Law in Illinois

Hi I just left the police station with my cousin who claims his debit card was stolen and he was unaware until the bank began sending letters of fraud notification. After he recieved the 3rd letter he called the bank to report his card stolen and the bank then told him to go into the branch file a fraud action and go to the police station to give his statement. Today the police called him in to tell him his story wasn't adding up and while they know he didn't make the deposit of the 3000+ check they know he's lying and a willing participant. They also said they can't guarantee he wont go to jail or get in trouble. My question is if they find out he is lying or they catch the person who did it will he really be punished despite the fact he didnt deposit the check and if so why?

Andrew Gable Law Office of Andrew Gable

Your cousin should not make any more statements to the police. He should contact a criminal defense lawyer immediately. Any conversations with the police should happen through his lawyer. Call me if you want help. 312-502-7877

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Illinois