Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

My friend and his wife are getting a divorce. Last night he was woken from a sound sleep and she started an argument. Their 17 year old son also started in. She told him she was calling the police (there was nothing physical). He threw his shoes on and left. I later verified with the police that there was nothing physical and no report or complaint had been filed but they had been called to the residence. He just can't decide if he should push up his time table for moving out or stick it out until the divorce is final.

Asked on 10/15/13, 8:51 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Stay out of this. He should be talking to his divorce lawyer. That being said, there are "two" kinds of divorces in Illinois: one on traditional grounds (like adultery or physical cruelty) and the other on "irreconcilable differences". The latter techincally requires the parties to live separately for a period of time, but there are ways "around that" and many people who can't afford to live separately wind up living under the same roof during the divorce. Either way, this is his choice especially if he knows that at the end of the day he will have to move out anyhow. If he is doing this for his son's sake, that is even a bigger mess. Stay out of it. Being a friend just means being supportive, not rendering legal advice or making decisions.

Read more
Answered on 10/18/13, 1:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now