Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

My girlfriend is 17 and lives with her mother who emotionally abuses her in Illinois. I have read online that the age of majority is 18 I know that is correct but I have also read that females at the age of 17 can move out without parents consent if they have a safe place to stay without any legal troubles is that true?

Asked on 10/15/13, 3:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Illinois allows 17 year olds (male and female) to move out under what's called "emancipation". It is a court procedure. It can be fought. She should seek out an attorney's help for this if there is abuse involved. Since she is also still a minor steer clear of being a hero.

Read more
Answered on 10/18/13, 1:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now