Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois


When I got divorced I received sole custody and a removal order so i could move my kids from Illinois to Arizona with me. I have lived here for about 2 years. My boyfriend that I have lived with the entire time has the possibility of a better job in South Carolina. Since I have the removal order can I just move there or do I need to go back to court? FYI the divorce was an ugly divorce so I know my ex will throw a fit. I like that coast better and I think our way of life will be better.

Asked on 8/12/13, 12:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sue Roberts-Kurpis, Esq. Law Office of Sue Roberts-Kurpis
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Feel free to move as long as the move to SC will not adversely effect your ex-husband's visitation with the children. The Court has already ruled that you can move the children out of State. You may want to contact your former divorce lawyer and have him/her file a new removal petition so that the court can reaffirm its ruling. That's a judgmental call and is entirely a question of strategy.

Good Luck.

Read more
Answered on 8/12/13, 12:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now