Legal Question in Immigration Law in Illinois

My brother has 2 previous DUI's and was caught driving with a revoked license. He is a legal resident. He was told ICE would come get him and he could possibly be deported. What are his rights? Can they do this? Is there a way we can prevent this from happening?

Asked on 7/16/10, 4:58 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

He can consult and hire an immigration attorney specializing in deportation defense. He doesn't have a right to free lawyer in immigration court system.

Note: The above response is provided for legal information purposes only and should not be considered a legal advice; it doesn’t create an attorney-client relationship. To schedule a consultation or for more information, please visit

Read more
Answered on 7/16/10, 8:10 pm
Philip Eichorn Philip Eichorn Co., LPA
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

He needs a combination of an experienced deportation lawyer and a skilled criminal lawyer. The DUI's generally do not trigger deportation, but depending on the law where the second conviction occurred ICE might have a claim. Prior to ICE getting involved, work with a deportation attorney to assess the issue and if necessary work with a criminal defense attorney for post-conviction relief.

Read more
Answered on 7/18/10, 6:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Craig EpifanioCraig Epifanio, P.A.St Petersburg, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now