Illinois  |  Medical Malpractice

I took two very sick dogs into the veterinarian, she diagnosised them with respiratory infection. I informed her the reception staff told me they would need a parvo test since they didn't receive their shots. The doctor said they didn't need the parvo test that it was a respiratory infection. Gave me antibotics and sent me home. Within 4 hours the smaller of the two began vomiting and bloody diarrhea passed away within 18 hours of diagnosis. I took the puppy back for cremation and had them do a parvo test at that time, she came back positive for parvo. The second took just as ill within 30 hours, I rushed her in immediately to begin parvo treatment. It gets better, by sending the two very infected parvo cases home they went on to infect other puppies in the house. Is there any action that I can take against this veterinarian? The medical cost and cremation is over two thousand dollars and rising.

Answered on: 4/27/12, 8:35 am by Jeffrey Whitcomb

Yes, you can file a lawsuit against the veterinarian for negligence. You will need to show that the veterinarian deviated from the standard of care and that the negligence caused the injuries to the dogs.

www.whitcomblawfirm.com 100 S. York Street, Suite 200 Elmhurst, IL 60126