Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

Dirt bike nuisance

I live in a residential neighborhood comprised of single family homes. The homeowner across the street permits his son to ride an off road motorcycle on the sidewalks and in the yard. It is illegal to ride motorized vehicles on the sidewalks in our community and despite calls to the police, this practice has continued. This practice has also caused destruction to their yard resulting in an eyesore for surrounding neighbors. The continuous noise level caused by the revving of the motorcycle has become a great nuisance. Is there anything I can do about this problem?

Charles Dobra Charles Wm. Dobra, Ltd.

Re: Dirt bike nuisance

Yes; you can sue them. The question becomes how much justice can you afford? Can you spread the costs of a proposed legal action amoung neighbors? I suspect that if you sue these folks, they will make you life miserable. You should enlist the aid of your local elected representative, an alderman, e.g. Having the police enforce the laws would insulate you from the repercussions a civil law suit would create. And even then, you would have a piece of paper that would still be difficult to enforce.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois