Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

State of Indiana. My mother and my aunt owned a house in Indiana. When her sister died, my mother was still alive. She agreed to have the house split between her kids and her sisters kids 50/50. My cousin lived in the house (which was paid off and fully owned) rent free with the agreement that he and his brother and sister (the kids from my aunt) pay the property taxes, insurance and maintenance and he could live there free. My mother died in July 2009. Though my brother or I were NEVER contacted (in title ownership search, which is common here in Illinois) and never approved it, the house was sold in March of 2010 for 20% of the current value. I never received a dime. What are my options as this was an asset my brothers and I legally owned 50% of that was sold without permission.

Thomas Moens Moens Law Offices, Chartered

You would need to contact an Indiana attorney to assist you. Check for someone in the county in which the real estate is located. And sooner is much better than later.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois