Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

My aunt passed away in Illinois. She was hospitalized for a few months before and therefor owed rent to her landlord. He states he now has a lein on her property and has started giving things away and taking things out of the home. She left no will and had estranged herself from the family due to mental issues. We would like to obtain personal items from her home that belonged to our grandparents but he states everything is his. Nothing has even be inventoried and there is no executor yet and no debts have been settled. Is there anything I can do before he gets rid of our family heirlooms?

Sue Roberts-Kurpis, Esq. Law Office of Sue Roberts-Kurpis

Contact police and file a theft report. Also you need to open a Probate Estate and get an administrator appointed to deal with your Aunt's possessions. Serve a Cease and Desist notice on the landlord.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois