Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

My father dies recently in IL and has a family trust. My step mother is alive . I am his only legal child may I receive a copy of hid Family trust?

Asked on 5/04/13, 3:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Siebert Law Office of James C. Siebert & Associates
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

In general, only the beneficiaries of a Trust have any rights in regard to that Trust. So, if your father did not name you as a beneficiary under the family trust you have no rights in regard to the Trust. This is always a practical problem because children and other possible beneficiaries have no way of knowing whether they in fact are named as beneficiaries under a Trust. So, if your step-mother refuses to tell you anything, unless your father prior to his death advised you that you were a named beneficiary, you have no way of knowing if you are a beneficiary and therefore entitled to certain rights.

In Illinois, even if you are a beneficiary Illinois Trust law does not give you the automatic right to see a copy of the Trust. Illinois is one of the few states that has not adopted the Uniform Trust Code. Under the Uniform Trust Code a trustee has to promptly deliver a copy of the trust documents to any beneficiary after a written request. Illinois Trust law gives income beneficiaries some more limited rights. Under Illinois Trust Law if you are a beneficiary of your father's trust and are entitled to receive income from the Trust, then the Trustee is required under 760 ILCS 5/11(a) to furnish you at least annually a current account showing the receipts, disbursements and inventory of the trust estate.

I would recommend hiring a Trust or Elder law attorney to advise you how to proceed. Perhaps a written request from the Attorney could get you a copy of your father's Trust. If not then the Attorney could advice you of the risks associated with bringing an action against the Trust and your step-mother when you have no idea if you are entitled to anything. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 6/30/13, 5:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88433 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now