Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Indiana

I have a problem, my Grandmother, who raised me, died in 1982. Sometime later I found out from my sister that my Grandmother had made me beneficiary of her life insurance policy. My uncle had been made executor of her estate. I think that he and my aunt must have taken the money that was meant for me, I think my sister thinks so as well, because she waited so long to tell me about the policy. My sister knows that I feel that our uncle and aunt took more than Grandmother wanted them to have, and that if I could prove that they had taken the money from the policy, I would have called the police on them. I do know that my aunt opened all the mail that came to the house, she yelled at me when I opened my own letters. After that they all ways came when I was at work or out and took the mail, before I had a chance to see it.

What I would like to know is that how I would go about confirming what my sister told me. That way if they did take the money that was meant for me I will know it, if not I can collect it myself. If my uncle did take the money, I am not sure what to do. I will let him know that I know he stole from me, but he is in his 80s and I do not want to get the police involved but I do believe he should return what he had no rights to. Does anyone have any advice?

Voyle A. Glover Attorney at Law

This is not one that is easily answered online. You really do need to go in and see a lawyer. Sometimes, the attorney will talk to you without charge. Ask. Go to an Indiana lawyer near you. One of the things s/he will explore with you is the possibility of tracking the insurance policy. It may only require a letter. But, definitely see an attorney.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Indiana