Iowa  |  Criminal Law

I currently have a been charged with distribution of a controlled substance(Class C Felony) in the state of Iowa. I had brought my prescribed Oxycodone pills to school after about a week after a couple weeks after surgery and some friends asked they could have a pill so i gave them each 2 pills and was reported and got charged. My Juvenile court officer tells me either I can be adjudicated for this offense or I try my luck in Adult court. My question is that I was already in the process of joining the military and my recruiter told me that any felony no matter adjudicated or convicted will result in an automatic DQ so I am asking for advice on whether I should try my luck in adult court and find a lawyer and hopefully the judge will reduce the charge or dismiss it? because then I can join the military. Or should I just get adjudicated and forget about the miltary. I fully know the risk im taking if I take it to adult court but I just want some legal advice to make my decision.

Answered on: 4/12/13, 8:59 am by Robert Luedeman

What makes you think that the outcome in adult court would be any more favorable? If you have an attorney now is the time to talk to them. If not, best get one pronto. It's also a homily on trusting your 'friends'.

solo practitioner 2008 66th Street Windsor Heights, IA 50324