Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Iowa

I got a bill from my apartment complex for cleanup. I cleaned the apartment and took pictures. I think they are trying to bill me for my evicted roommate's room who had a lease with them also. He left all his property there, and the apartment management left it there for about a year and a half. I didn't dare touch it because I didn't want to get taken to court by my ex-roommate. I contacted them multiple times about his property, and the most recent was certified mail. Now they're trying to bill me for cleaning up the evicted guy's property.

I live and rented in Iowa; we both had individual leases; he got served and evicted.

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

If what you say is correct you can not pay and let them sue you. Of course that will ruin your credit. I'd suggest having a lawyer write them a nastygram. It works wonders.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Iowa

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms