Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Iowa

My mother died in 1979 and left her half of a large family farm to us children with a life estate for my father. We now found out that my father disclaimed his right to the land in 1979 but has been running it as though he had a life estate. Can we go back for income now that this has been revealed or is laches in place and is it not worth it and to legally difficult?

Asked on 5/10/13, 5:33 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The real question is when you could, by reasonable diligence have discovered this new evidence. That's really the key and you would need to go back through the entire case file to determine that. You also might find that you'd have to sue dear old Dad who might not have any money. That would not be pleasant.

Read more
Answered on 5/11/13, 8:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Iowa

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now