Kansas  |  Civil Rights Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/12/13, 1:32 am

how long do police departments have to wait before releasing information about a crime

1 Answer

Answered on: 4/12/13, 4:05 am by Anthony Smith

If employees of a police department prematurely make public statements that a certain person committed a cretin crime, they (and the governmental body) liable for civil damages. So, there reason to wait until they investigate. But there is no hard rule as to how soon they must report crimes, unless there is a local ordinance that states a time. If they have not released as much information as you want, you may have to make a FOIA request.

Good luck

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

LawSmith P.O. Box 2336 Lee's Summit, MO 64063

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

130 Answers given in the last few hours.

8627 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search