Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kansas

I would like to know if it is illegal to change documents after parties signature is assigned, and then filed with the court.. This was done by attorneys without my knowledge..

Asked on 5/07/13, 6:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Committing a fraud upon the court can be a criminal act and get one held on contempt by the court. It is unusual to need to change a document, after it has be executed (signed) and doing so, can be the basis of a civil fraud charge, from the person that signed. There are very rare instances in which a document can be changed after it is filed with the court. They are Scrivener's error. (someone typed the wrong date or misspelled someone name or street address, etc.) But those changes often require filing a request with the court to make the change. All other post-filing changes would be very strange. You did not indicate what type of document you were referring to. If it is something that you signed, and then someone else changed it an field the changed document with the court, you need to consult directly with civil counsel in your area. Do so quickly, so you can preserve your options

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 5/08/13, 9:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kansas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now