Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kansas

I would like to know if it is illegal to change documents after parties signature is assigned, and then filed with the court.. This was done by attorneys without my knowledge..

Anthony Smith LawSmith

Committing a fraud upon the court can be a criminal act and get one held on contempt by the court. It is unusual to need to change a document, after it has be executed (signed) and doing so, can be the basis of a civil fraud charge, from the person that signed. There are very rare instances in which a document can be changed after it is filed with the court. They are Scrivener's error. (someone typed the wrong date or misspelled someone name or street address, etc.) But those changes often require filing a request with the court to make the change. All other post-filing changes would be very strange. You did not indicate what type of document you were referring to. If it is something that you signed, and then someone else changed it an field the changed document with the court, you need to consult directly with civil counsel in your area. Do so quickly, so you can preserve your options

Good luck

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kansas

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms