Legal Question in Family Law in Kansas

My wife and I divorced in early 2000. I had child support coming directly from my paychecks as ordered by the court. We remarried later that same year and child support was stopped. Now we are selling a house and found out there is a child support lien on the house saying I owe my wife back child support. What can we do to release the lien so we can close on the house?

Rian Ankerholz Ankerholz and Smith

The best way to determine what you need is to have your title company issue a title requirement specifying what they will accept as proof that there is no lien. If you have no title commitment yet, you can file a signed and notarized Release and Satisfaction from the child support payee saying there is no child support owed. That is filed in the original divorce case.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kansas