Legal Question in Personal Injury in Kansas

My brother was killed. It was determined that no other parties are responsible for his death. The Funeral Director said that because my brother, who is 48 years old, was not married that my father, who is 73 years old, is responsible for paying the bill. Is the Funeral Director correct? My brother was of legal age so I don't see how my father could be responsible for his bill.

Anthony Smith LawSmith

A funeral home is a business. If somone orders good sor servcies, they are required to pay. If yoru father requested that your brother eulogized and or buried through a particular funeral home, then he is responsible. If he did not, then either the person who requested the funeral or your brother's probate estate is responsible. If your brother died intestate (no will), unmarried, and childless, then your parents woudl inherit his estate. The legitimate portions of the funeral bill would diminish what your parents would inherit. In that sense, your father would be paying for the funeral and burial. A burial bill may be projected onto aparent without probate. The funeral service bill goes to whoever requested the servcies, or to the probate estate.

Good luck

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Kansas