Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Louisiana

I live out of state (virginia). A civil suit was filed against me back in (filed in Louisiana) 2008 and the last action on file with the clerk is a default action by the judge in June of 2009. I asked the clerk was there a judgement against me and she stated no. It only shows default. My question is this.....is there a Louisiana statute that places a legal time limit on how long a lawsuit may remain on file? To this very day.....I have never signed, or been served a summons for this suit in any manner. I guess they couldn't find me. Yet it remains on file. Thanks in advance for any help.

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

If there was a preliminary default, then it was not made into a judgment. You did not mention if you were sued in City Court or district court, but since there was a default entered in June 2009, if no other action is taken, then in June 2012 you should be able to have the suit dismissed. I do not think the default suspends the 3 years. I could be wrong.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Louisiana

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms