Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Maryland

I own a business in Port Deposit, Md and the Business owner next door has put up video recorder to video my customers and myself outside of my establishment, for no apparent reason other than to harress me. There has never been a complaint of any kind but there camera is clearly pointed at my door and table and chairs. This camera is clearly not for security purposes for there property, but clearly to watch by customers and me. Can you please tell me if this is legal in Cecil County, MD

Lawrence Holzman The Holzman Law Firm, LLC

If you're talking about outside, then there in Maryland there is no "reasonable expectation of privacy" that anyone has while in a public place. As such, they can be photographed. Recording of audio is a little trickier, but the same analysis has been applied by some courts to public places in Maryland.

However, it sounds like there's really something else going on here -- you may want to go over all of it with a local Maryland attorney who can advise as to options.

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Maryland

Civil Rights Law Legal Forms