Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Maryland

Military Separation Agreement

My ex-husband and I signed a Separation Agreement in 2004 stating that he would pay me a certain amount within 5 years; that 5 years ends in March 2009. Although it was stated that monthly payments are to be made, no money has been received. Because this was a military separation agreement (the divorce was done through the state of Maryland), what state do I go through to file a civil suit when the lump sum has not been paid in March 2009?

Is there a way to have a ''warning'' letter sent to him stating that if the entire payment is not received by the deadline that a civil suit will be filed?

Asked on 10/09/08, 2:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Military Separation Agreement

Yes, you could send such a letter yourself anytime(but it would be obviously better to have it coming from an attorney).

However, the action for enforcement of the agreement should likely be through the Maryland court which granted the divorce, and, consequently, a motion to reopen the divorce case would probably need to be filed first and then a Show Cause action against your former husband as to why he should not be found in contempt of court (for having failed to make the required payments).

Read more
Answered on 10/13/08, 10:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now