Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

does my ex's attorney have a right to demand my social media password for our child Modification case?

G. Joseph Holthaus III Law Offices of G. Joseph Holthaus

Without knowing why this information is being requested, my answer is "it depends."

If your ex is presenting this request then he/she should respond with the his/her password to provide the same level of information. I will compel the same should it be relevant.

You have no right of privilege with transmissions that occur through social media. Should such transmissions be captured with the intent to use it against you then may have impeachment value relating to an abusive relationship, This depends on the content of the transmissions. Your expectation of privacy with text based transmission depends on several qualifications.

Call me to discuss why this information is being sought and I will defend and represent your case against your ex's attorney.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland