Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

Step parent adoption-Maryland

I have a 14 yr old daughter that would like my husband of 10 yrs to adopt her. Her father has been in and out of jail for 90% of her life and he has not had contact with her in over a year. My daughter does not want anything to do with him. I currently do not know where he is. What would I have to do to start this process if I need to find him, and if he was found and contests this, how I can get the court to over ride his objection?

Asked on 5/12/08, 6:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Step parent adoption-Maryland

You have to file a petition for adoption in the circuit court of your county. You have to "serve" the bio father by publishing a notice in a local newspaper. You should hire an attorney experienced in handling adoption cases who can guide you through this process smoothly.

Read more
Answered on 5/13/08, 10:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now