Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Maryland

I have a contract for the purchase of a SouthAfrica Boerboel puppy. The sellers has a statement at the end, that reads, "And finally...buyer agrees that he/she understands this contract fully, and that this contract is under the jurisdiction of the State of Missouri, in the county of Callaway. It is agreed the place of venue shall be in Callaway county, Missouri. I live in Maryland. How does it effect me?

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

It means that the law of Missouri will control any disputes between you and the seller that arise, and that if either party files suit it must be there.

Thomas Valkenet Young & Valkenet

It is a choice of law and choice of forum provision. It dictates where legal disputes will be heard, and what law applies. As consumers, we routinely agree to this stuff. Look at your credit card agreements, car loans and other contracts. You have already agreed to be sued in many other states!

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Maryland

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms