Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Maryland

Sprinkler system DISASTER

I work for a travel co. as a traveling nurse that is placed in apts by the travel co. and the lease is signed by the travel co. (but I live there). The sprikler system malfunctioned and destroyed the apt. and its contents. I personally did not carry renters insurance. My travel co. claims that they arent responsible either. I have thousands of dollars in damages and nobody will claim responsibility. Is this really my job to carry renters insurance when my name is not anywhere on the lease??

Alton Drew Alton Drew, LLC

Re: Sprinkler system DISASTER

Review your lease to determine if the landlord required renter's insurance. Some landlords require that the tenant carry it. However, if the damages are a result of the landlord's negligence, you may have an argument in court for damages. While litigation is an option, start with filing a complaint with the consumer protection division of the state attorney general's office.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Maryland

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms