Maryland  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 11/16/13, 4:49 am

My husband and I would like to move into his home that he previously bought with his ex wife. She lives in another state and says she doesn't care if we take over the house because she doesn't want the house. Her name is on the deeds and mortgage and she will not take her name off deed until we can refinance (then she can take her name off mortgage). We are not in a position to refinance and the house needs alot of work because the tenant left it in a horrible state.

Can we get a contract done up with a lawyer to state that even though her name is on deed that she is giving up all rights, ownership, equity etc in the house while we live in and fix up the house. I'm afraid that if I move in the house and use my money to fix up house she will cause trouble later and try to take over because her name is still on deed until we refinance and take her off. I don't want to chance her waiting for the house to be fixed up and then cause trouble and try to force us to sell so she can gain more money from the sale. Please help. I want to live in house but afraid this woman will try something once the house has more equity in it.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search