Maryland  |  Tax Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 1/25/07, 4:15 pm

Tax Assessment

In 2006 I received a letter from the Comptroller of Maryland, stating that I owe back taxes. Some of the taxes due were listed as from 1995. They can not show me my return from that year but state that they know I owe it. Also some of the taxes due are for years that they say I did not file. I have copies of my returns showing that I did file. I am not protesting the taxes due but I am protesting the interest and penaltys. This matter was brought to their attention when I refiled for my Maryland Automobile Sales License. I have been previously licensed for over 20 years. This renewal has been held up since Sep, 2006. Upon meeting with the States representatives, I was told that I can not get my license until all monies due are paid. They want 25% down and will only give me 12 months to repay the balance. How do I earn this money if they continue to withhold my license? What can I do to extend the repayment time and drop some of the penaltys and interest charged?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search