Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maryland

My mother just passed of a heart attack. My children are 10 and 11 and she left the entire estate tol them. I am an only child and feel that this is wrong. My mother and I were in a good relationship, do I have any grounds. My husband and I had already established savings and educational accounts for our children. I have been a teacher for 23 years so I am very responsible, especially when it comes to my children.

Asked on 9/05/12, 8:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cedulie Laumann Arden Law Firm, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I am sorry to hear of your mother's passing.

Maryland law generally allows people the right to leave their property to whomever they wish, in whatever manner they wish. (One notable exception is that someone cannot entirely write a current spouse out of a will). The law does not require that parents leave anything to their adult children. So unless there was some indication of fraud or undue influence the deceased party's will should usually survive any challenge.

It may be that a parent/grandparent who sees a responsible, financially established child determined that the child(ren) do(es) not need as much assistance as the next generation.

While I hope the general information above helps it does not constitute specific legal advice and doesn't create any type of attorney/client relationship.

Read more
Answered on 10/08/12, 5:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now