Maryland  |  Wills and Trusts

wills and estate

My friend recieved life in prison for a crime he did not committ. I have POA over him. His father and step-mom died 15 days apart. The father died first. I was POA over his one bank acct and with drew 40k as he requested as that was what was set aside for his sons legal fees the day he died. The step-son now has control over the the estate as his natural mother passed last and he states she only had a will. I know they both had wills. The will he put in place is very questionable. I deposited the 40k into their mutual acct and the step brother wrote a check to himself with 'matt's defense' written on the memo line. He promised to give the money to me and now says it is gone. how can I get that money??

Answered on: 3/03/08, 3:55 pm by G. Joseph Holthaus III

Re: wills and estate

It appears that a gift was made during life where the interest may have been rescinded or relinquished. The interest which may have matured could have then been transferred against the intent of the gift as made. There are a number of matters which need to be discussed and you should contact an attorney.

Law Offices of G. Joseph Holthaus 2255 Daniels Road Ellicott City, MD 21043