Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maryland

taxes

Do I need to file a tax return for my father who passed away in May '07. I am getting tax papers for social security and bank accts. as well as the life insurance and other things. Overwhelming!

Robert Beatson, II Law Offices of Robert Beatson, II

Re: Federal/MD Income Tax Return Filing Requirements for Deceased Parent

Generally, yes. The income and expense records need to be assembled and carefully reviewed to see if an income tax return and/or an estate income tax return are required to be filed under Federal and MD law. An experienced tax attorney in MD should be able to handle this type of matter and to protect the interests of the client. Please note that, in accordance with the MD Code of Professional Responsibility for Attorneys, a signed engagement letter is necessary in order to engage my legal services. If I can be of any help to you or people you know, contact me as I would be pleased to provide tax/legal support. Sincerely, Robert Beatson II, 1-16-2008, 7:05 p.m. EDT Law Offices of Robert Beatson II, 9818 Glynshire Way, Potomac, MD 20854 email: rbeatsonatty@netscape.net website: www.beatsonlaw.com Practice areas: Tax, business law, computer/high tech/biotech law, intellectual property, trusts/estates/wills, real estate, litigation, mediation. Licensed to practice law in: DC, MD, VA, and NY.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maryland