Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Massachusetts

My sister-in-law and brothers-in-law are getting ready to close on their parents home. My husband is deceased and they are now asking for a copy of my husband's death certificate. Why would they need it?

Asked on 9/05/13, 11:11 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your husband may be on the title as a contingent beneficiary. His death certificate may be needed for recording to clear title.

Read more
Answered on 9/05/13, 12:26 pm
Christopher Vaughn-Martel VAUGHN-MARTEL LAW
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I agree with Attorney Roth. If I had to guess, your brother and his siblings inherited or were granted the home. Your husband's name is still on the title. In order to sell, the buyer is going to need to know that all owners are joining in the sale - or are deceased. They can obtain this information from the Registry of Vital Statistics.

Read more
Answered on 9/05/13, 5:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Massachusetts

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now